Building a Team
The backbone of the Foundation's anti-poaching program are the wildlife conservation Rangers. Ten Rangers have been hired, trained and equipped (with one 4WD vehicle), and a office/barracks facility has been constructed with existing resources.
(from the $5.00 per diem conservation levy of Safari Lodge guests) The current annual operating budget is $20,000.
Ranger duties/responsibilities include:
- Locating and apprehending poachers.
- Recovering injured and orphaned wildlife.
- Locating and removing snares and traps.
- Deterring poachers with their presence.
- Coordinating field operations with other Zambian enforcement authorities.
- Eliciting intelligence information from the local communities.
2017/2018 Ranger Program expansion budget:
- Add four additional Rangers and one office secretary - $23,220.
- Purchase one additional 4WD vehicle - $45,000.
- Purchase two off-road motorcycles-$10,000.
- Purchase one boat, critical to rainy season operations - $3,000.
- Total Annual 2017/2018 Budget Need - $81,220.